Planners' Communications Guide 2.0
飞艇怎么淘汰了This online, interactive guide designed to help planners develop and deliver positive values-based messages about planning and APA to targeted audiences. Whether you are new to speaking to the media, interested in building greater alliances, or just wanting to polish your skills, there is something in the guide for everyone. Available for APA Members only.
Messages are fundamental to any communications effort.
- Create and use key messages when speaking to the media and the public and with stakeholders;
- Provide compelling and memorable support for your key messages; and
- Use APA's key messages in your communications work.
- NEW! Explain your work to someone unfamiliar with the planning profession
飞艇怎么淘汰了One of the most effective ways to reach members of your community is to make use of the media.
- Respond when a reporter calls you;
- Work with the media — responding to interview requests and preparing for media interviews; and
- Deliver your message through traditional and nontraditional media channels.
- NEW! Tips on writing a letter to the editor.
Social media has become a necessary tool for doing business via tweets, posts, and shares.
- Use various social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Flickr to promote planning and advance your planning messages;
- Remain in compliance with open meeting laws and establish social media guidelines; and
- Leverage the experience of APA, other planning departments, organizations, and cities that are using social media.
You need allies and partners to help support the work of the planning department.
- Identify and garner support for planning from allies within your community;
- Leverage partnerships to help advance good planning; and
- Deliver your planning message to, and engage your elected and appointed officials.
As a planner, you occasionally stumble on difficult issues.
- Respond to critics or those opposed to planning initiatives; and
- Engage opponents and work toward a common goal.
Highlight the importance of planning and planners each October.
- Leverage National Community Planning Month to highlight the work of planners
- Host a community event to build awareness about planning and planners
- Engage the media to help increase awareness about planning and planners
Access on-demand training module to use in conjunction with this guide.
- Using Infographics to Move Audiences
- Framing An Issue
- Telling the Transit Story
- Create your own planning messages
- Raise the visibility of planning in your community
- Navigate the Planners' Communication Guide